DESIGN This property is located just east of the Elks Lofts on Third street and was constructed in 1917. This five-story, buff brick veneer, Commercial style building has replaced storefronts divided by massive concrete classical pilasters. A heavily molded cornice divides the first, second, fourth and fifth stories. Upper story windows are replacement single sashes. The first and last bays are single windows: other windows are grouped in threes and are located in brick panels divided by brick piers. Fifth-story bays are divided by paneled piers. A modest entablature and shaped parapet tops the building.
HISTORY This building holds the distinction of being the last building built on East Third street. Although Robert Dickey announced plans to rebuild on the site in April 1913, construction was delayed until 1917. A large building designed for light industry and retail space, it was constructed in the Commercial style with emphasis on classical detailing. Its wide variety of tenants included the Lowe Brothers Paint Store, the C.S. Ball Candy Company, the Delco Light Products store, the Buckeye Engineering Company (tool designers), the Siebert Manufacturing Company (spark plug manufacturers), Giele and Pflaum Printing Company and the Young Catholic Messenger.