Design Residing just west of the Beaver Power Building (Sinclair Lofts), this building represents the Second Renaissance Revival style. Constructed in 1924, the property has a concrete main facade that has been smoothly dressed giving the facade the appearance of having been constructed of stone. The building is four-stories high and is five-bays wide. The main entrance is located on the left side of the main facade. The double door entry is classically detailed with decorated frieze, den tilled cornice and a large transom. Storefronts have retained their beveled entrances, but have replacement display windows. The original windows on the upper stories were also replace when the building was rehabilitated in the 1980’s.
The frieze dividing the first story from the upper stories feature four medallions with the names of four person prominent in the printing trade: Caxton (William, the first English Printer), Guttenberg, Hoe (origin undetermined), and Benjamin Franklin. Upper bays are divided horizontally by wide spandrels decorated with medallions. Paired pilasters accent the corners and divide the first and second bays and the fourth and fifth bays. The decorated frieze has “Journal Herald Building” incised at center. The building is capped by a simple cornice and parapet.
HISTORY Structure was designed by architectural firm Pretzinger and Pretzinger. It was an appropriate addition to the district since printers abounded in the area. It housed two newspapers as well as the Associated Press, the United Press Association and the International News Service. Designed in the classical style with restrained detailing, it blended with the general streetscape composed of three to six story buildings practically designed to fit the needs of the clientele they were built to serve.