DESIGN On the southwest corner of East Third Street is the Kimmel Building. This classically-styled, four-story, buff brick veneer building was constructed in 1913-14. The architect was Robert Dexter. All four store fronts face East Third Street. The third bay storefront as been very altered, but the first, second and fourth storefronts feature original center-beveiled entries flanked by display windows. A cornice divides the first story from the upper stories. Second and third-story windows on the mall facade are triple commercial windows with multi-tier upper sash set over a single light lower sash. The second and third story bays are divided by stuccoed spandrels. Third story windows are topped by molded cornice caps. Fourth-story windows are triple windows with continuous sills. Windows are set into brick panels which are divided by full-height brick pilasters with classical capitals. The building is topped by a dentilled cornice with modillions.
HISTORY The $50,000 structure was the first to be rebuilt in the district with work commencing in mid-August of 1913. Construction was completed by Bentley and Son of Toledo with the work coming to its conclusion in 1914. Owners of the newly built build were as follows: C.L. Kimmel, Mrs. Mathiot, Colonel F.T. Huffman and a Mr. Graves. Beside Mr. Kimmel’s store, building was home to an A Mr. Long (auctioneer) and Mr. Shroyer (pawn broker).